Monday, July 7, 2008

All THINGS WISE: Choose How To Grow Old

When I was in my teens, I admired a woman in her seventies - an active elder in our church. She dressed neatly, smiled a lot, and paid attention when i talked with her. I wanted to be like her when I got old.
I knew another woman in the same age bracket, but i surely didn't want to be like her. She seemed to do nothing but complain and was so self-centered that she wouldn't listen to anybody. She wouldn't take advice from anyone. She was a disgruntled old woman.
Psalm 92 shows us that those who believe in God and live in fellowship with Him and with His people will be in old age like a vigorous tree with wide-spreading, luxuriant branches.
If you want to stay optimistic and interested in life when you get old, start preparing while you are young. After trusting Jesus to be your Savior, make Him your chief model. Also select as living examples those who walk with Him. You will be kinder, gentler, purer, and more loving with the passing years. You and I choose each day the kind of person we will be when we are old.
O keep me sweet and let me look
Beyond the frets that life must hold,
To see the glad eternal joys;
Yes, keep me sweet in growing old.
~~Hazard
What you hope to be like tomorrow depends on the choices you make today!

Source for photo: abrahamescence1 of Flickr